Homemade Holiday Gifts on a Budget



I know it's hard to get excited about the holidays when you're broke, or nearly so. It can be pretty depressing to face the holidays with bills looming. Believe me, I know. And for most of us above the 34th parallel, the temperature is dropping and we're spending more on utilities just to keep the icicles from forming on our noses while bundled up at home. I mean, where's Han Solo with his Tauntaun when you really need one? (What? Too gross?)

Side note: I was always amazed that Mattel didn't have a Tauntaun action figure with his belly sliced open, so you could just slide your Luke action figure inside. I mean, yeah, gross—but seriously, as a 10 year old? That would've been the shit.

And if that imagery didn't get you in the mood for the holidays, honestly, I don't know what will.



--

In lieu of your very own eviscerated Tauntaun, however, you can keep yourself & your loved ones warm with rice-filled heating pads or hand warmers. (You could even make them in the shape of Tauntauns if you were really clever, which clearly you are.)

As I'm sitting here typing, in my house with the thermostat turned down 2 extra degrees, bundled in a hat and fingerless gloves, I'm thinking hand warmers might be a really good stocking stuffer this year. AND, it's a super easy and inexpensive project.

Homemade Hand Warmer Stocking Stuffers



Here's a super easy-to-follow how-to from V and Co.

Materials:

  • 4 pieces of cotton fabric, about 3 1/2 inches square (I'm using cotton fabric scraps from my scrap pile) 
  • Needle and thread (or a sewing machine—you do you)
  • Uncooked rice (seriously, don't cook it)
  • A funnel or a rolled up piece of paper

Instructions:

  1. Cut your fabric squares out, place them with the right sides together
  2. With your needle and thread (or sewing machine) sew the edges up leaving an opening on one end to pour the rice in. 
  3. Once sewn, turn inside out & use your finger or a pencil to make sure your corners are completely pointy. 
  4. Fill each hand warmer 3/4 full with the rice. (This is where the funnel or rolled up piece of paper comes in handy.)
  5. Sew up the opening and you're golden.


Heat the hand warmers in the microwave for 15 seconds (or don't heat them at all and use them in a mini corn-hole toss game).


No comments:

Post a Comment