Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe


So... here I am, in the midst of a No-Spend month, having already spent $20 (scratch that) $60 on groceries... and I'm out of mayo. I know, it's a sad story. And most months wouldn't be an issue. We're not huge mayo people, except when we are—and right now, apparently, we are.

So, what's a girl to do? Hop in the car and run to the groc or, I dunno' pull a Martha and whip up some homemade mayo? (Hint, I'm in my PJs and while that wouldn't normally stop me from hopping in the car, I'm just not feeling it today. So yeah, I'm pullin' a Martha.)



Normally, a no-mayo scenario wouldn't be a big deal, except I am in the mood for a monster of a salad with some homemade honey-mustard dressing. The main ingredient of said dressing? You guessed it, mayonnaise.

I grew up in Kansas City, where on special Sundays, we'd go out to Houston's restaurant (on the Plaza). I'd always order their huge Cobb salad with honey-mustard dressing, and bliss out for the rest of the night.





My recipe:

Honey Mustard Dressing (Quick & Simple Recipe)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1-2 tsp mustard (to taste)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey (more or less to taste)
  • 1/2-1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon water or vegetable oil (to thin it down a bit)
  • pinch of salt
Directions
Mix it all together and serve with salad (or use as a dip for chicken strips). Makes about 2/3 cup.


Houston's recipe:

Houston's Copy-Cat Honey Mustard Dressing

Ingredients
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 1/8 cup honey
  • 6 ounce Dijon mustard
  • dash garlic salt
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
Directions
Mix it all together. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

---

Anyway you cut it, it requires mayo, and I'm out for the next 3 weeks.

What I do have, however, is eggs, a lemon, some mustard, and avocado oil... so I figured, why not try my hand at making my own mayonnaise? This recipe probably isn't cheaper than buying a jar of Duke's (or Hellman's) at the store, but since I already have the ingredients on hand, it'll save me from having to put clothes on to go out and spend money at a point when I probably shouldn't. (It's also probably a bit healthier.)



Homemade Mayonnaise

Makes 3/4 cup

Ingredients

  • 1 large egg yolk at room temperature (some recipes call for the whole egg)
  • 1-1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. red or white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
  • 1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
  • 3/4 cup mild flavored vegetable oil (Canola, Grape Seed, Safflower)

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and salt until ingredients are combined (about 30 seconds).
  2. Divide the oil into 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup measurements. 
  3. A 1/4 teaspoon at a time, start adding 1/4 cup oil into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously (about 4 minutes). If you have a food processor, you can slowly drizzle the oil into the processor as it is mixing.
  4. Once your mixture begins to thicken and emulsify, you can gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of oil—in a slow stream, whisking (or mixing in a food processor) constantly (about 8 minutes).
  5. Cover and chill. Lasts for several days in the fridge.

Fixing "broken" mayonnaise

If you find your mayonnaise is separating you can follow Julia Child's advice for re-emulsifying it. Add 1 teaspoon (dijon) mustard to a bowl and slowly beat the broken mayonnaise into the mustard until it emulsifies again.

---

Notes, After-the-Fact

Okay, so I made my mayo with the whole egg and red wine vinegar. It took about 15 minutes for it to come together and start to thicken—with a hand mixer, mind you—I abandoned the whisk after a minute (I seriously need to do some cardio). It took another 1/4 tsp. of mustard and another 15 minutes of slowly drizzling in the remaining oil for it to really come together and not be a liquid-y mess.

Don't get me wrong, it tastes friggin' FANTASTIC, and the honey mustard dressing was AMAZing. I'd totally make it again, but with just the yolk, and maybe using a food processor or blender next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment